Risk and Compliance Manager
Central Edinburgh / flexible
Flexitricity is Britain’s leading demand-side response (DSR) business, providing short-notice response and reserve energy which is cheaper and greener than conventional power stations. Flexitricity plays a key role in the renewable energy revolution and in the electrification of heat and transport as we strive toward net zero.
Flexitricity pioneered aggregated DSR for electricity system balancing, and continues to lead this sector in volume, technical capability, and innovation. Flexitricity aggregates small generators, energy storage sites and flexible industrial and commercial energy users, making their capacity available to National Grid and Distribution Network Operators (DNOs) for periods of stress in electricity systems. Participating assets are owned by third-party companies who partner with Flexitricity to profit from their flexibility.
To complement the core DSR offer, in October 2018 Flexitricity launched a unique energy supply offering, Flexitricity+. Flexitricity+ provides transparent market access for combined heat and power operators, battery developers, merchant generators and energy-intensive industrial sites. Using our 24-hour control room and live smart grid platform, we monetise the flexibility of our customers in the energy markets and the Balancing Mechanism. In 2020, this market access widened as we took flexibility into the Balancing Mechanism as a Virtual Lead Party for the first time.
Flexitricity is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners. We are passionate and committed to sustainable and responsible business practice across all aspects of environment, social and governance, including delivering equal opportunities and an inclusive workplace. For more information on our ESG policies, you can visit the dedicated ESG section here:
Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) Policy
About the role
Reporting to the Finance Director, the Risk and Compliance Manager role covers two important areas of the business.
Flexitricity is a complex and fast-moving business working within a highly regulated environment and many of its activities create and carry operational, financial, commercial or regulatory risk. Identification, management and mitigation of these risks are tasks which are mainly assigned to the appropriate management teams but there is a requirement for a role to coordinate, manage and continually improve the company’s risk management tools, processes and infrastructure as well as taking responsibility for certain elements of risk management.
Secondly, the position involves the coordination and administration of business-critical compliance tasks in order to ensure Flexitricity adheres to all requirements under our supply licences for both gas and electricity supply. You will support the Head of Supply and Balancing Services in managing Flexitricity’s responsibilities under these licences, engaging and reporting to internal stakeholders and external bodies, including National Grid, Xoserve, Ofgem and RECCo.
The Risk and Compliance Manager should expect to split their time evenly between internal and external tasks and will enjoy a high degree of autonomy in workload management. In addition, the role demands a high level of attention to detail, organisation and the ability to interpret contractual terms and conditions.
Core duties will include:
- Ownership and control of the company’s Risk Register
- Work with all company functions to ensure risk issues are appropriately identified, documented, managed and actioned
- Development of robust operational and commercial control processes
- Identification of areas of risk and/or improvement and develop methods of streamlining existing processes
- Organisation of compliance tasks and reporting
- Gas and electricity supply licence reporting tasks and administration to be completed on a cyclical basis, including FiT levelisation, RO mutualisation, Green Gas Levy submissions, PARC submissions, TNUoS Forecasting
- Attend industry workgroup meetings relating to new regulatory changes for the industry, including Faster Switching and MHHS programme
- Project manage and assist the Head of Regulation and the Head of Supply & Balancing Services in implementing new supply licence conditions across the business
- Keep up to date with industry changes
- Helping the business understand and influence regulatory and policy matters
- Reviewing of contract terms and conditions
- Acting as an ambassador and role model for the Flexitricity brand
The Risk and Compliance Manager sits within Finance team and will report to the Finance Director. The role supports both the Finance team and the Supply and Balancing Service team, and tasking will be directed by the heads of each of these teams.
This role requires an enthusiastic, organised, proactive and driven Risk and Compliance Manager with the following:
- A number of years experience in a similar risk management or compliance role;
- Ideally, energy market knowledge in gas and electricity markets, or experience in a risk or compliance role in a similar highly regulated sector;
- Demonstrate capacity to work within a wider team as well as autonomously;
- Outstanding attention to detail;
- Ability to work to strict deadlines to ensure business-critical tasks are completed in plenty of time and with minimal supervision;
- Able to schedule workload according to wider business priorities;
- Excellent communication and people skills;
- Good planning and organisational abilities;
- Ability to work calmly under pressure;
- The ability to understand technical information and articulate this (internally and externally) in a clear and succinct manner.
- General experience in reviewing legal contracts would be beneficial for this role, as would any prior knowledge of energy supply contract structures.
We are committed to rewarding initiative and excellence and we offer a competitive salary with comprehensive benefits. You can expect challenge, learning and autonomy in creating value in our dynamic industry-leading business.
Flexitricity supports flexible and remote working, although we would encourage some time spent each month in Flexitricity’s office in central Edinburgh.
To apply, please email your CV with a covering letter highlighting your salary expectations to email@example.com.
Get in touch today
Book a call with one of our energy market specialists to find out if you can participate and how much your site could earn.0131 221 8100