Head of Account Management
Flexitricity optimises flexible energy assets, trading them in wholesale markets and providing short-notice response and reserve electricity which is cheaper and greener than conventional power stations. Flexitricity plays a key role in the renewable revolution as we strive toward net zero.
Flexitricity pioneered aggregated demand-side response (DSR) for electricity system balancing, and continues to lead this sector in volume, technical capability and innovation. Flexitricity provides route to market services for generators, energy storage sites, and flexible commercial, industrial and domestic energy users. Further opportunity for flexing electrical load is being presented by the electrification of heat and transport.
Flexitricity is a licenced electricity and gas supplier and trades its flexible portfolio of assets in wholesale energy markets and the Balancing Mechanism. It also make flexible capacity available to National Grid and Distribution Network Operators (DNOs) for periods of stress in electricity systems. Participating assets are owned by third-party companies who partner with Flexitricity to earn revenue their flexibility.
Flexitricity is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners. We are passionate and committed to sustainable and responsible business practice across all aspects of environment, social and governance, including delivering equal opportunities and an inclusive workplace. For more information on our ESG policies, you can visit the dedicated ESG section of our website.
Merchant energy storage and power generation, district heating, horticulture, food & drink, e-mobility, logistics, domestic, cold storage, banking, data, chemicals, manufacturing, recycling, water, healthcare, local government, education, retail, media.
Flexitricity is currently focused on the GB market only.
About the role
Flexitricity operates in real-time energy markets, delivering flexible electricity capacity at optimised prices to National Grid, DNOs and other market participants. Our job is to earn the best return for our customers using the flexible capacity they have available at the time.
An internal promotion, the continued success of the company, widening market and new services have created the requirement to appoint a Head of Account Management within the Commercial Team. Reporting to the Head of Commercial, you will have overall responsibility for Flexitricity’s portfolio of Energy Partners, managing some key strategic accounts as well as two full time account managers within your team.
You will act as an internal champion for our Energy Partners, working with teams across the business to drive process improvement and finesse optimisation strategies for assets under management. This includes acting as a point of escalation for the account managers in your team, working with the wider Commercial Team (which includes Data Science and Trading), as well as other departments within the company such as Supply & Balancing Services, Engineering, IT, Finance and Operations.
You will be tasked with retaining business and improving organic growth within Flexitricity’s portfolio, working with the account managers to identify opportunities and supporting them as necessary. You will contribute to and lead internal and external performance reviews focusing on improvement opportunities that will help achieve organic growth targets. You will also work closely with the Head of Business Development to help drive sales-related activity.
You will need to understand energy sector strategies and legislation that directly or indirectly impact on Flexitricity’s service provision. Full training will be provided, but an understanding of Flexitricity’s sector and the factors influencing its development will be required. An existing professional network in some of the above areas will also be beneficial.
Flexitricity is recognised as the premium provider in its sector and you will be expected to uphold this brand position by how you engage with our Energy Partners and the wider market.
Core duties will include:
- Overall responsibility for Flexitricity’s portfolio of Energy Partners;
- Provide training, support and motivation to two full time account managers within your team, monitoring performance of the team and acting as their point of escalation within the business;
- Be proactive in leading the team’s strategy and engagement with Energy Partners across all areas of communication, service and support;
- Champion Energy Partner issues internally, identifying areas of risk and develop methods of streamlining existing processes;
- Management of Energy Partner contracts and renewals;
- Contribute to and lead asset performance reviews internally and externally;
- Work with Flexitricity’s Trading, Operations and Balancing Services Teams to maximise commercial returns from Energy Partners’ electrical flexibility;
- Introduce new market or product opportunities to existing portfolio of Energy Partners;
- Work alongside the Business Development team to proactively seek new sales opportunities, project managing the onboarding of new sites through to live operation;
- Write financial reports and tender submissions, as well as reporting updates to the Senior Management and Executive teams;
- Ability to understand technical information and articulate this (internally and externally) in a succinct manner;
- Help the business understand and influence regulatory and policy matters;
- Act as an ambassador and role model for the Flexitricity brand; and
- Achieve targets for revenue, profitability and sales growth.
The Head of Account Management role will sit in the Commercial Team and will report to the Head of Commercial.
This role requires an enthusiastic, organised, proactive and driven Account Manager with the following:
- At least five years’ account management experience within the energy sector;
- At least two years’ managerial experience would be very beneficial;
- The ability to inspire and motivate others;
- An understanding of Flexitricity’s sector and the factors influencing its development;
- Knowledge of energy markets and regulatory changes that affect Flexitricity’s Energy Partners;
- An ability to grasp technical concepts (experience working in a technical role would be beneficial);
- Good business acumen;
- Initiative and enthusiasm;
- Demonstrate capacity to work within a wider team as well as autonomously;
- Excellent communication and people skills;
- Good planning and organisational abilities;
- Can work calmly under pressure;
- Good academic skills, including report and budget writing;
- Competent IT capabilities, including Excel, Word, Powerpoint and Outlook; and
- A full UK driving licence.
Detailed energy market knowledge in gas and electricity markets and experience of Salesforce CRM (or similar platform) would be beneficial.
We are committed to rewarding initiative and excellence and we offer a competitive salary with quarterly commission structure and comprehensive benefits. You can expect challenge, learning and autonomy in creating value in our dynamic industry-leading business.
Employees & Offices
The business is based in Edinburgh and occupies a superb office space overlooking Edinburgh Castle. Flexitricity employs 52 full-time staff. The team is expert and dedicated to commercially optimising flexibility, and positively contributing to the decentralisation, decarbonisation and digitisation of Britain’s power system.
102 West Port
To apply, please email your CV with a covering letter highlighting your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that only successful candidates will be contacted.
Get in touch today
Book a call with one of our energy market specialists to find out if you can participate and how much your site could earn.0131 221 8100