We’re growing our team and now have an opportunity available for a Data Engineer. The candidate will be responsible for every step of the data flow, starting from configuring data sources to integrating analytical tools. The Data Engineer will look at expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flows and collection.
Flexitricity connects flexible electricity customers to money.
Flexitricity is Britain’s leading demand response business, providing short-notice response and reserve energy which is cheaper and greener than conventional power stations. Flexitricity plays a key role in the renewable revolution and in the electrification of heat and transport.
Flexitricity pioneered aggregated demand-side response services (DSR) for electricity system balancing, and continues to lead this sector in volume, technical capability and innovation. Flexitricity aggregates small generators, energy storage sites and flexible commercial and industrial energy users, making their capacity available to utilities for periods of stress in electricity systems. Participating generators, batteries and loads are owned by third-party industrial and commercial energy users who partner with Flexitricity to profit from their flexibility.
To complement the core DSR offer, in October 2018 Flexitricity launched a unique energy supply offering, Flexitricity+. Flexitricity+ provides transparent market access for combined heat and power operators, battery developers, merchant generators and energy-intensive industrial sites. Using our 24-hour control room and live smart grid platform, we monetise the flexibility of our customers in on-the-day markets such as the Balancing Mechanism.
About the role
Reporting to the Data Science Manager within the Data Science team and working alongside Flexitricity’s trading and operations team. The Data Engineering role will be a key position in facilitating data science requirements and supporting its activity. The candidate will also be the main point of contact between the IT development teams and data science.
As Flexitricity push to further develop their data science and machine learning toolsets, the role will shape the roadmap and ultimate implemented solution for the migration of on-premises systems to a fully cloud-first pipeline.
The candidate will be responsible for every step of the data flow, starting from configuring data sources to integrating analytical tools. The Data Engineer will look at expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flows and collection.
There will be opportunity to support our software developers, data analysts and data scientists on data initiatives across the business and ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing core projects.
The opportunity – a growing market for flexibility and great opportunity ahead being unlocked by the electrification of transport and heat
The role – will contribute as part of a data science team, supporting diverse areas of the business
The location – in the heart of one of the best cities to live and work in Europe
The team – working with highly skilled and motivated individuals
- Build and maintain data pipelines (including those from 3rd party sources and APIs).
- Implement infrastructure for analysis, monitoring applied models and Fine-tuning algorithm calculations.
- Identifying and patching issues and bugs identified in the pipeline/architecture.
- Working as part of a data science team to deliver quality service to internal customers.
- Communicating team to define data requirements to support business issues / queries, including collecting, analysing, interpreting, and translating the result to non-technical stakeholders.
- Degree (or equivalent), preferably in computer science, related subject, or demonstrable experience.
Required Technical Skills
- Experience working with a cloud-based role (AWS, Azure or Google Cloud).
- Data manipulation using Python.
- Experienced with SQL based databases (Postgres, MS-SQL).
- Experience of building data pipelines with machine learning outcomes in mind.
Highly Desirable Technical Skills:
- Experience of cloud migrations.
Desirable Technical Skills:
- Experience within the energy sector.
- Ability to be a team player who provides constructive contribution.
- Attention to detail and quality focused.
- Ability to explain technical detail to both technical and non-technical staff.
- Ability to write good quality technical and operational documentation.
- Seeks feedback and demonstrates desire for self-development.
- Curious about new ideas and able to translate them into recommended improvements.
- Ability to quickly learn new technical concepts.
- Attention to detail and quality focused.
- Contributes to team development through sharing expertise.
We are committed to rewarding initiative and excellence and we offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits. You can expect challenge, learning and autonomy in creating value in our dynamic business.
The current business provides the platform for exceptional growth and the launch of new services in high-growth emerging sectors.
- Highly professional; respected industry leaders
- Flexible and informal
- Fun, but hard working and focused
- Superb offices in central Edinburgh
- Currently the majority of Flexitricity staff are working from home. This will continue but as we return to more normal work patterns there will be an expectation that the successful candidate will retain an office presence.
To apply, please email your CV with a covering letter highlighting your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get in touch today
Book a call with one of our energy market specialists to find out if you can participate and how much your site could earn.0131 221 8100