Capacity Market Manager
Central Edinburgh / flexible
Flexitricity is Britain’s leading demand-side response (DSR) business, providing short-notice response and reserve energy which is cheaper and greener than conventional power stations. Flexitricity plays a key role in the renewable energy revolution and in the electrification of heat and transport as we strive toward net zero.
Flexitricity pioneered aggregated DSR for electricity system balancing, and continues to lead this sector in volume, technical capability, and innovation. Flexitricity aggregates small generators, energy storage sites and flexible industrial and commercial energy users, making their capacity available to National Grid and Distribution Network Operators (DNOs) for periods of stress in electricity systems. Participating assets are owned by third-party companies who partner with Flexitricity to profit from their flexibility.
To complement the core DSR offer, in October 2018 Flexitricity launched a unique energy supply offering, Flexitricity+. Flexitricity+ provides transparent market access for combined heat and power operators, battery developers, merchant generators and energy-intensive industrial sites. Using our 24-hour control room and live smart grid platform, we monetise the flexibility of our customers in the energy markets and the Balancing Mechanism. In 2020, this market access widened as we took flexibility into the Balancing Mechanism as a Virtual Lead Party for the first time.
Flexitricity is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners. We are passionate and committed to sustainable and responsible business practice across all aspects of environment, social and governance, including delivering equal opportunities and an inclusive workplace. For more information on our ESG policies, you can visit the dedicated ESG section here:
Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) Policy
About the role
The Capacity Market Manager role will be responsible for Flexitricity’s existing and future contracts in the GB Capacity Market.
The Capacity Market (CM) is one of the key policies of the Electricity Market Reform programme. The CM aims to ensure the future security of our electricity supply at the lowest cost to consumers.
Flexitricity was a first mover in the Capacity Market, having secured contracts for our Energy Partners in all auctions since 2014. Due to significant company growth, Flexitricity has an opportunity for a dedicated full-time role within the Supply and Balancing Services team to manage the end-to-end Capacity Market process.
The role will report into the Head of Supply and Balancing Services, although you will be given a lot of autonomy in managing our Capacity Market commitments.
Core duties will include:
- Manage the pre-qualification of assets in collaboration with business development and account management teams, including data gathering, exhibit creation and application submission.
- Control pre-auction processes to enable Flexitricity’s Energy Partners to win desired contracts. This includes working with finance to manage the credit cover payment requirements, Demand Side Response capacity submission, and auction pricing strategy in collaboration with our data science team.
- Submit auction bids to win desired contracts and report on results.
- Deliver post-auction activities to meet all pre-contract milestones – Financial and Substantial Completion Milestones, six-monthly progress reports, meter assessments and tests and DSR tests.
- Deliver ongoing contract management with the Operations team through timely submission of Satisfactory Performance Days.
- Stay up-to-date on changes to Capacity Market rules.
- Evaluate opportunities to add value through secondary trading.
- Stakeholder engagement with third parties, including the EMR Delivery and Settlement bodies, Low Carbon Contracts Company (LCCC) and the Electricity Settlement Company (ESC).
- Internal reporting on contract performance, rule changes or regulatory updates.
- Extensive understanding of the Capacity Market Rules and Regulations and ability to articulate potential legal challenges to external stakeholders if the interpretation of certain rules impact Flexitricity’s performance.
- Lead on responses to consultations initiated by Ofgem and BEIS.
- Identification of areas of risk and/or improvement and develop methods of streamlining existing processes.
- Acting as an ambassador and role model for the Flexitricity brand.
The Capacity Market Manager sits within Supply & Balancing Services, part of the Finance Team, and will report to the Head of Supply & Balancing Services.
This role requires an enthusiastic, organised, proactive and driven Capacity Market Manager with the following:
- Evidence of 3 years+ experience in a similar role,
- Detailed energy market knowledge
- Experience in reviewing legal contracts or working with similar Government led initiative which require a detailed understanding of rules and regulations
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Above-average proficiency of Excel is required (complex formulae, macros, and pivot-tables),
- Ability to understand technical information quickly
- Strong business acumen
- Confidence on the phone is a necessity,
- Able to schedule your workload according to priorities and work with minimal supervision,
- Excellent communication and people skills, and
- Can work calmly under pressure
- Experience working on the GB Capacity Market
- Understanding of market structures in the gas and electricity industry
- Familiarization with some of the sectors Flexitricity works with, including horticulture, district heating, utilities, food and drink, battery storage, merchant power plants
- Technical understanding of flexible load or generation assets
We are committed to rewarding initiative and excellence and we offer a competitive salary with comprehensive benefits. You can expect challenge, learning and autonomy in creating value in our dynamic industry-leading business.
Flexitricity supports flexible and remote working, although due to the nature of the role it would be useful for the Capacity Market Manager to spend some time each month in Flexitricity’s office in central Edinburgh.
To apply, please email your CV with a covering letter highlighting your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get in touch today
Book a call with one of our energy market specialists to find out if you can participate and how much your site could earn.0131 221 8100