Flexitricity connects flexible electricity customers to money.
Flexitricity is Britain’s leading demand response business, providing short-notice response and reserve energy which is cheaper and greener than conventional power stations. Flexitricity plays a key role in the renewable revolution and in the electrification of heat and transport.
Flexitricity pioneered aggregated demand-side response services (DSR) for electricity system balancing, and continues to lead this sector in volume, technical capability and innovation. Flexitricity aggregates small generators, energy storage sites and flexible commercial and industrial energy users, making their capacity available to utilities for periods of stress in electricity systems. Participating generators, batteries and loads are owned by third-party industrial and commercial energy users who partner with Flexitricity to profit from their flexibility.
To complement the core DSR offer, in October 2018 Flexitricity launched a unique energy supply offering, Flexitricity+. Flexitricity+ provides transparent market access for combined heat and power operators, battery developers, merchant generators and energy-intensive industrial sites. Using our 24-hour control room and live smart grid platform, we monetise the flexibility of our customers in on-the-day markets such as the Balancing Mechanism.
Flexitricity is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alpiq AG, a leading Swiss energy generation, trading, optimisation and e-mobility business.
About the role
A growing product suite and customer portfolio, coupled with increasing complexity and new opportunities in our core markets means we need to be ever more proactive in identifying, developing and monetising opportunities. Our Trading function is central to this aim and as such, we’re expanding the team to ensure continued success in this area.
The Trading team operates in a pressurised environment, seeking to find a balance between the optimisation of assets across all UK markets and internal and external governance structures. Much of the work Flexitricity undertakes is pioneering in the industry and, as such, is exciting but can be challenging. Core business systems and processes are in place but continuous improvement is encouraged and expected.
The opportunity – a growing market for flexibility and great opportunity ahead being unlocked by the electrification of transport and heat
The role – a genuine opportunity to strengthen and develop a unique service in an exciting industry
The location – in the heart of one of the best cities to live and work in Europe
The team – working with highly skilled and motivated individuals
- 5 -10 years trading experience gained in UK energy markets
- Demonstrable experience optimising different asset types across all markets
- Robust understanding of wholesale market risk
- Exceptional people skills to lead, motivate and develop individual team members
- Fundamental respect for internal and external governance
- High level of IT literacy
- Degree qualified (or equivalent) in a business or numerical discipline
- Knowledge / Experience of Battery Storage optimisation
- Knowledge of NGESO Ancillary/Balancing services at an operational level
- Proactive, diligent and a critical thinker
- Ability to strike a balance between risk appetite and seizing market opportunities to maximise revenue
- Ability to quickly process and understand complex information, take reasoned decisions, and summarize succinctly
- Ability to operate with clear focus, dealing with a pressurised environment and working to tight deadlines
- Motivated, self-starter with the capacity to work independently and as part of a team
We are committed to rewarding initiative and excellence and we offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits. You can expect challenge, learning and autonomy in creating value in our dynamic business.
The current business provides the platform for exceptional growth and the launch of new services in high-growth emerging sectors.
- Highly professional; respected industry leaders
- Flexible and informal
- Fun, but hard working and focused
- Superb offices in central Edinburgh
To apply, please email your CV with a covering letter highlighting your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.