Flexitricity is a demand response business which provides fast access to response and reserve energy that is delivered with a lower cost and lower emissions than conventional power stations.
Flexitricity pioneered aggregated demand-side reserve services (DSR) for electricity system balancing, and continues to lead this sector in volume, technical capability and innovation. Flexitricity creates this reserve by aggregating small generators and flexible electrical loads into capacity groups that are made available to National Grid or one of the UK’s Distribution Network Operators for short periods when the national or local electricity system is under stress. These generation assets and electrical loads are owned by third party industrial and commercial businesses that partner with Flexitricity for market access and service provision.
To complement the core DSR business Flexitricity has developed a new energy supply offering (Flexitricity+) that is aimed at a subset of industrial and commercial customers. Launched in October 2018, Flexitricity+ provides a transparent market access for CHP operators, battery developers, small merchant generators and energy-intensive industrial sites. Using our 24-hour control room and live smart grid platform, we monetise the flexibility of our customers in on-the-day markets such as the Balancing Mechanism.
About the role
The Operations Developer will create new web-based UIs and improve, unify and add new features to several existing ones. These UIs support the Operations control room in delivering their tasks: setting asset (e.g. generator) availability, planning service availability, live monitoring of asset status and raising internal tickets. In addition, you will also contribute to the business logic modules, implementing various customer limits and checks on asset dispatch and pricing.
Flexitricity uses Python 3 as its primary language for new projects, however you will be working with some legacy code that uses 2.6 and 2.7. You will be proficient with Python, but additional programming language experience will be beneficial.
Core duties will include:
- Requirements capture for Operations UIs;
- Design, development and release of UI improvements and new features;
- Design, development and release of additional business logic; and
- Documentation of the solution design and operational troubleshooting guides.
To be a successful candidate you must be an experienced software engineer with the following experience:
- A degree in a technical subject such as maths, computing, engineering or have equivalent work experience;
- A minimum of 1 year’s software developer experience;
- Excellent communication, presentation and documentation skills; and
- Enthusiasm and self-motivation.
- Python (either 2.x or 3.x)
- SQL (we use Postgres, MS-SQL)
- Some web UI Development (JSON, JQuery, HTML, CSS)
- Data analysis in Python (we use Pandas for time-series)
- Other data analysis or modelling (e.g., Matlab, R, Excel)
- DevOps (Focusing on use of deployment tools, e.g., Docker, SaltStack, Ansible etc.)
- Version Control (we use Git)
- Perl programming language
We are committed to rewarding initiative and excellence and we offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits. You can expect challenge, learning and autonomy in creating value in our dynamic business.
To apply, please email your CV with a covering letter highlighting your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.