Business Development Manager
Central Edinburgh, with travel in the UK and potentially overseas
Flexitricity is Britain’s leading demand-side response (DSR) business, providing short-notice response and reserve energy which is cheaper and greener than conventional power stations. Flexitricity plays a key role in the renewable revolution and in the electrification of heat and transport.
We pioneered aggregated DSR for electricity system balancing, and continues to lead this sector in volume, technical capability and innovation. Flexitricity aggregates small generators, energy storage sites and flexible commercial and industrial energy users, making their capacity available to National Grid and Distribution Network Operators (DNOs) for periods of stress in electricity systems. Participating assets are owned by third-party companies who partner with Flexitricity to profit from their flexibility.
To complement the core DSR offer, in October 2018 Flexitricity launched a unique energy supply offering, Flexitricity+. Flexitricity+ provides transparent market access for combined heat and power operators, battery developers, merchant generators and energy-intensive industrial sites. Using our 24-hour control room and live smart grid platform, we monetise the flexibility of our customers in the energy markets and the Balancing Mechanism. In 2020, this market access is widening as we take additional flexibility into the Balancing Mechanism as a Virtual Lead Party for the first time.
Flexitricity is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alpiq AG, a leading Swiss energy generation, trading, optimisation and e-mobility business.
About the role
Flexitricity operates in real-time energy markets, delivering flexible electricity capacity at optimised prices to National Grid, DNOs and other market participants. Our job is to earn the best return for our customers using the flexible capacity they have available at the time.
The widening market and new services have created the requirement to grow the business development resource within the company. The purpose of the role is to work as part of the existing Sales, Account Management and Marketing Team to establish, cultivate and convert your own pipeline of flexible assets. These assets will come from a range of sources, but you should expect them to include:
- EV charge point clusters
- District heating schemes
- Horticultural sites
- Flexible I&C load
- Domestic properties
- Grid-scale assets, particularly batteries and gas peakers
You will also be responsible for cultivating partnerships with third party organisations which present a viable route to market for Flexitricity’s services.
Full training will be provided on Flexitricity’s sector and the factors influencing its future development. However, an understanding of and experience in the energy sector will be preferred. An existing professional network in some of the above areas will also be beneficial.
As Business Development Manager, you will contribute to the development of the sales strategy and should expect to remain involved in projects up to commissioning. You will play a fundamental role in developing future growth and provide vision on opportunity and market insight.
Flexitricity is recognised as the premium provider in its sector and you will be expected to uphold this brand position through your engagement with the market.
Core duties will include:
- Contribution to strategy development, tactics, sales plans and profit targets
- Proactively seeking out new sales opportunities using a variety of methods
- Delivery of sales by developing relationships with Energy Partners and Resellers
- Helping the business understand and influence regulatory and policy matters
- Identifying and reporting on business opportunities in target markets
- Leading commercial and contractual negotiations
- Taking responsibility for tender responses and submissions
- Acting as an ambassador and role model for the Flexitricity brand
- Increasing market share in existing markets and maximising new business development opportunities
- Achieving targets for revenue, profitability and sales growth
You will be based within Flexitricity’s office in Edinburgh, but will spend much of your time visiting prospects, clients, partners and other market stakeholders. You will need to attend conferences, trade fairs and exhibitions. Your job will involve extensive travel in GB and potentially to clients based overseas.
The Business Development Manager will sit in the Sales, Account Management and Marketing Team and will report directly to the Sales Director.
This role requires an enthusiastic, resourceful and organised Business Development Manager with the following skills and experience:
- At least five years’ business development experience
- Knowledge of energy markets and regulatory changes that affect Flexitricity’s Energy Partners is preferred
- Excellent sales and negotiation skills
- Good business acumen
- The ability to inspire and motivate others
- Initiative, drive and enthusiasm
- Demonstrate capacity to work within a wider team as well as autonomously
- An ability to grasp technical concepts (experience working in a technical role would be beneficial)
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Good planning and organisational abilities
- Can work calmly under pressure
- Good academic skills, including report and budget writing
- Competent IT capabilities, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- A full driving licence valid in the UK
- The right to work in the UK
- Detailed technical energy market knowledge, especially electricity
- An existing network/pipeline within the relevant sectors
We are committed to rewarding initiative and excellence and we offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits. You can expect challenge, learning and autonomy in creating value in our dynamic business.
The current business provides the platform for exceptional growth and the launch of new services in high-growth emerging sectors.
- Highly professional; respected industry leaders
- Flexible and informal
- Fun, but hard working and focused
- Superb offices in central Edinburgh
To apply, please email your CV with a covering letter highlighting your salary expectations to email@example.com.