Energy Risk Lead
The role will play an integral part in the success of the business by shaping the company’s risk mandate and internal governance. As our trading capabilities grow, the role will ensure that Flexitricity remains compliant with internal risk policies as well as wholesale market regulations.
Flexitricity connects flexible electricity customers to money.
Flexitricity is Britain’s leading demand response business, providing short-notice response and reserve energy which is cheaper and greener than conventional power stations. Flexitricity plays a key role in the renewable revolution and in the electrification of heat and transport.
Flexitricity pioneered aggregated demand-side response services (DSR) for electricity system balancing, and continues to lead this sector in volume, technical capability and innovation. Flexitricity aggregates small generators, energy storage sites and flexible commercial and industrial energy users, making their capacity available to utilities for periods of stress in electricity systems. Participating generators, batteries and loads are owned by third-party industrial and commercial energy users who partner with Flexitricity to profit from their flexibility.
To complement the core DSR offer, in October 2018 Flexitricity launched a unique energy supply offering, Flexitricity+. Flexitricity+ provides transparent market access for combined heat and power operators, battery developers, merchant generators and energy-intensive industrial sites. Using our 24-hour control room and live smart grid platform, we monetise the flexibility of our customers in on-the-day markets such as the Balancing Mechanism.
About the role
A growing product suite and customer portfolio, coupled with increasing complexity and new opportunities in our core markets means we need to be ever more proactive in identifying, developing and monetising opportunities. Our Trading function is central to this aim and as such, we’re expanding the team to ensure continued success in this area.
The Trading team operates in a pressurised environment, seeking to find a balance between the optimisation of assets across all UK markets and internal and external governance structures. The team works on an 8-hour rotating shift providing 24/7 trading capability including weekends and bank holidays. Much of the work Flexitricity undertakes is pioneering in the industry and, as such, is exciting but can be challenging. Core business systems and processes are in place but continuous improvement is encouraged and expected.
The opportunity – a growing market for flexibility and great opportunity ahead being unlocked by the electrification of transport and heat
The role – a genuine opportunity to strengthen and develop a unique service in an exciting industry. The role will play an integral part in the success of the business by shaping the company’s risk mandate and internal governance. As our trading capabilities grow, the role will ensure that Flexitricity remains compliant with internal risk policies as well as wholesale market regulations. The Risk Lead will also be responsible for designing risk metrics, and monitoring performance against them.
The location – in the heart of one of the best cities to live and work in Europe
The team – working with highly skilled and motivated individuals
- In depth understanding of the regulatory and compliance landscape particularly in UK wholesale energy markets
- At least 3 years of prior relevant work experience gained in a risk management and reporting function within the energy industry
- Experience in designing risk reporting and measurement tools like Value at Risk, stress testing, back testing, P&L monitoring
- Ability to understand and critique trading strategies and decisions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills catering to a range of audience from finance, senior management, and front office
- Prior experience in shaping risk mandates and policies
- Prior experience of working in the front office would be an advantage
- Knowledge of ETRM systems and managing book structures
- Knowledge of credit risk management techniques would be beneficial
- Proactive, diligent and a critical thinker
- Ability to quickly process and understand complex and large sets of data, and summarize succinctly
- Ability to operate with clear focus, upholding Flexitricity’s values
- Motivated, self-starter with the capacity to work independently and as part of a team
We are committed to rewarding initiative and excellence and we offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits. You can expect challenge, learning and autonomy in creating value in our dynamic business.
The current business provides the platform for exceptional growth and the launch of new services in high-growth emerging sectors.
To apply, please email your CV with a covering letter highlighting your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get in touch today
Book a call with one of our energy market specialists to find out if you can participate and how much your site could earn.0131 221 8100