IT Systems Developer
This senior IT Systems Developer role, from within the IT team, will improve, develop, and implement applications throughout our backend systems used to deliver services for our Energy Partners and National Grid.
Flexitricity connects flexible electricity customers to money.
Flexitricity is Britain’s leading demand response business, providing short-notice response and reserve energy which is cheaper and greener than conventional power stations. Flexitricity plays a key role in the renewable revolution and in the electrification of heat and transport.
Flexitricity pioneered aggregated demand-side response services (DSR) for electricity system balancing, and continues to lead this sector in volume, technical capability and innovation. Flexitricity aggregates small generators, energy storage sites and flexible commercial and industrial energy users, making their capacity available to utilities for periods of stress in electricity systems. Participating generators, batteries and loads are owned by third-party industrial and commercial energy users who partner with Flexitricity to profit from their flexibility.
To complement the core DSR offer, in October 2018 Flexitricity launched a unique energy supply offering, Flexitricity+. Flexitricity+ provides transparent market access for combined heat and power operators, battery developers, merchant generators and energy-intensive industrial sites. Using our 24-hour control room and live smart grid platform, we monetise the flexibility of our customers in on-the-day markets such as the Balancing Mechanism.
About the role
Reporting to the IT & Engineering Manager, working alongside Flexitricity’s Technical Lead, and working directly with Engineering, Trading, Data Analysis and Operations teams. This senior IT Systems Developer role, from within the IT team, will improve, develop, and implement applications throughout our backend systems used to deliver services for our Energy Partners and National Grid.
The role primarily involves the development and testing of applications using a mix of technologies to meet interface specifications and business requirements. You will also participate in the interface specification work and document your work to a high standard. Working in close collaboration with internal stakeholders you will be responsible for the successful development of solutions and integrating of code with our service platform. A successful candidate will play a key part in the development of a new greenfield platform soon to be developed in-house.
This post represents a fantastic opportunity to use a broad range of IT skills, in a fast-paced environment, encompassing the full project lifecycle and developing software for an on-premises infrastructure across a range of technologies. You will become an integral part of our IT team, working within an environment where the right candidate will be given plenty of scope to make a tangible difference.
The opportunity – a growing market for flexibility and great opportunity ahead being unlocked by the electrification of transport and heat
The role – a genuine opportunity to strengthen and develop a unique service in an exciting industry
The location – in the heart of one of the best cities to live and work in Europe
The team – working with highly skilled and motivated individuals
- To translate complex business requirements into robust software solutions and build integrations with core business systems.
- Take the lead in implementing appropriate solutions, bearing in mind non-functional requirements around performance and security.
- Develop high level solutions and support which enables the wider team to accelerate development within their areas.
- Further develop and maintain our core Virtual Power Plant (VPP).
- Actively undertake fault finding, diagnosis and bug fixing.
- Support peer reviews.
- Managing a workload and working collaboratively with other areas of the business.
- Degree (or equivalent), preferably in computer science, related subject, or demonstrable experience
Required Technical skills:
- Python 3
- SQL (Postgres, MS-SQL)
Highly Desirable Technical Skills:
- Salt Stack
- Web API Development (JSON, SOAP, XML-RPC)
- Web deployment (Django/Flask/FASTApi)
Desirable Technical Skills:
- pandas (a Python Data Analysis Library)
- Ability to be a team player who provides constructive contribution.
- Ability to explain technical detail to both technical and non-technical staff.
- Ability to write good quality technical and operational documentation.
- Seeks feedback and demonstrates desire for self-development.
- Attention to detail and quality focused.
- Curious about new ideas and able to translate them into recommended improvements.
- Ability to quickly learn new technical concepts.
- Attention to detail and quality focused.
- Contributes to team development through sharing expertise.
We are committed to rewarding initiative and excellence and we offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits. You can expect challenge, learning and autonomy in creating value in our dynamic business.
The current business provides the platform for exceptional growth and the launch of new services in high-growth emerging sectors.
- Highly professional; respected industry leaders
- Flexible and informal
- Fun, but hard working and focused
- Superb offices in central Edinburgh
- Currently the majority of Flexitricity staff are working from home. This will continue but as we return to more normal work patterns there will be an expectation to be in the office two days a week.
To apply, please email your CV with a covering letter highlighting your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get in touch today
Book a call with one of our energy market specialists to find out if you can participate and how much your site could earn.0131 221 8100